Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Orange-Lime-Ade, the perfect end to the day!

Wow, was this a filling breakfast.  It actually surprised me how full I was!  When I saw Snack Girl's Pumpkin Custard I thought, "That's easy enough to make for breakfast!".  And so that's exactly what I did. :)

I made a double batch (2 servings, one for me and one for Kai)

That meant 1 Cup of Pumpkin, 2 eggs, spices and then I used Maple Syrup for my sweetener.


And then, since I don't have large ramikins, and EVERYONE loves hearts, I poured it evenly into 7 silicone hearts.


Which I microwaved for 4-5 minutes until the top was set.


And then started topping!!

On mine went Coconut Whip (which melted off the hot custard), raisins, pumpkin seeds and some of the crystallized ginger I had from the auction basket.


On Kai's went raisins and a drizzle of Agave Nectar with a side of coconut whip in case she wanted to try it...she didn't. lol!


They really were delicious!!  I think they're going to become a staple in our morning breakfast routine.  Quick, Tasty and Filling is pretty hard to beat!!


For lunch Kai wanted Mac & Cheese (when doesn't she want mac & cheese?).  We had planned to eat Chili for dinner so making a batch of Macaroni actually made a lot of sense.  Step one...Boil some Macaroni!  We buy Barilla Plus Elbows.


After it was cooked up to Al Dente I drained it and put about 1/2 in a bowl.  The rest I let cool and then put in the fridge to mix into the chili.

Into the pasta I mixed some Nutritional Yeast, maybe 1/4 Cup, and some Almond Milk, maybe 2 T.  It wasn't a true Mac and Cheese but Kai LOVED it, and so did I.  I don't have anything truly against cheese but I was thinking that she may want mac and cheese for dinner, which often happens when I make us chili so I thought she could have the real stuff for dinner. :)


In the end we topped our Mac & N.Y. with Avocado...


And enjoyed a side of Kale Chips.


Once again it was an AWESOME meal!!  We were 2 for 2 for our eats!!!

And then came dinner...

I was a seriously busy girl yesterday.  Every time I completely one project I'd get 2 new e-mails in its place. Suddenly it was 5:00 (we try to eat between 5:30 and 6) and I hadn't started dinner!  Yikes!!  So much for my Chili!  I didn't have any Kidney Beans pre-made so cooking up chili in 30 minutes didn't seem feasible.

Frozen meal to the rescue.  I had 2 bags of left over Gumbo from Mardi Gras in the freezer so I threw one in a dish and nuked it until it was good and warm.  Then I put a bag of 90 Second rice in and heated that up.


I layered it onto my plate...


And. Ate. It. All.


I'm not saying I ate everything on my plate (which I did).  I'm saying I ate the entire batch of Gumbo!!  It was so good, dare I say better than chili?  Yes, I think I would.

Kai wasn't into it so she had a jelly sandwich and a BIG bowl of apple sauce with cinnamon, flax seeds and raisins stirred in.

The Hubs actually did have Chili.  It was a simple matter of browning some meat, sauteing an onion, and adding 1 can of diced tomatoes with chili, 1 can of tomato sauce, chili powder and garlic powder.  It sat and simmered until about 6:00 and then the Hubs got to enjoy it with the pre-made macaroni, some cheese and oyster crackers. :)

After dinner I had the lazy girls dessert... 


Yup, I didn't even put it in a bowl.  I added a splash of almond milk to the left over pumpkin from breakfast and then threw in a few raisins.  MMMMMM, I LOVE Pumpkin!


Later I did my 30 minutes of yoga and then got it in my head that I wanted lemonade.  So into my Ninja went 2 Lime Cubes (lime juice frozen in ice cube trays over the summer), 1 Blood Orange and a packet of Truvia.


Plus about 1/4 Cup of water...


Then I blended it until smooth.  It was PERFECT!  Exactly what I wanted.  :)


If you don't like pulp then you'll have to strain it but I do, so I was happy with it as is!

I used to buy powdered lemonade mix but no more!  Frozen Lemon or Lime, water and sweetener is all you need and it tastes SO MUCH BETTER than the powdered stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment