Sunday, February 12, 2012

Going once, going twice...

Are you looking to get fancy this Valentine's Day?  If so I've got the breakfast for you!

It's not super quick but I guarantee it will impress.  The Hubs was even wowed by these crepes! :)


CREPES
1 egg
1 egg white
pinch salt
1 packet of Truvia (approx 3/4 t)
1 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 1/4 C Liquid (I used about 3/4 C Almond Milk and water to fill the difference...grocery time!)

Whisk the egg, egg white & salt together until frothy.
Slowly stir in the flour & liquid.

Heat a pan, sprayed with oil, on med heat.
When the pan is hot, lift the pan off the burner, pour 1/4 C batter into it and swirl into a circle.
Set the pan back on the burner and let cook until the edges start to curl and the crepe peels off easily (about 1 minute)
Flip and cook the second side for about 15-30 seconds.
Remove from pan and repeat.
Make 8 crepes.

To fill them I sliced a banana, added some sliced strawberries and the last of the pineapple.
I also sprinkled some cinnamon on top and added a squirt of coconut whip.

Fancy Smanshy!

Saturday after breakfast I joined my mom to help set up for our church's Auction.  It's their big fund raising even and they had asked for volunteers to take the items from the church, across the parking lot, to the Parish Life Center.  It was supposed to be from 8 to 8:30.  I got home around noon!!  No complaints though.  It was actually a lot of fun to see all the stuff people donated, and I'm trying to get out and meet more people.  :)

When I got home the Hubs and Kai were just sitting down to dig into a Breakfast-Lunch (eggs, bacon, toast).  I quickly threw some brussels sprouts, cabbage and okra into the oven to start roasting and sat down with some chips and salsa at the table with the rest of my family. :)

The roasted Veggies!
Eventually we took Kai to the in-laws and then headed over to the actual Marti Gras Auction event.  The food was so-so, but the drinks were all free...even mixed drinks.  I had a couple of Cranberry & Vodka.  The acted like he wanted to see my ID but I laughed it off.  It was an adults only event and I could not remember where I put my ID!!  Turns out it was in my coat pocket which I had checked.  Of course I lost my coat ticket at some point but they gave me my jacket any way.  :)

As for the Auction, there was quite a bit of bidding going on.  One of the raffles was for an IPad.  I had quite a few tickets but didn't even make it to the finals of that one.  My mom and I played some Pull Tabs...Not a single winner.  Then we played Heads or Tails (everyone stands with their hands on either their head or butt and a coin is flipped.  If you picked correctly you stay.  The game continues until there's only one left standing).  I picked head on the first flip.  It landed tails.  Apparently I was not in Lucky Mode.  As for the Grand Prize raffle of $5000...

Yeah, we weren't even close to winning! lol!!

We did win some bids.  I left with...


A Slice-O-Matic!!!!  OMG, I've wanted one ever since I saw it on TV.  Yes, I'm a total sucker for "as seen on TV".  I cannot wait to use it!  There were some (my dad) who thought it was a goofy item to get attached too but there was at least one other person biding against me. 

I also got a set of Christmas Pillows for $10.  It was one of those...
"Check it out, no one's bid on these pillows and they're only $10"
"that's because they're Ugly"
"They'd be perfect on our couch at Christmas!!"
"Do NOT buy those"
"I bet they're really soft too"
"Seriously, we do not need those"
uncontrollable laughter by me
"why are you laughing?"
"because I just bid on the pillows"
"Seriously!  No one else is going to bid on those!!"

He was right!  I got my new Christmas pillows.  They're still in the car though.  At some point we need to get up in the attic to put the missed-Christmas-decorations away and get down the Valentines St. Patrick's Day stuff.



BUT as exciting as the Slice-O-Matic and Pillows were my big buy was this food basket.  The first time I just walked by, but then I kept coming back to it and seeing stuff I wanted to try.  There were apple chips, LOTS of garlic (the next time I make garlic bread the Hubs WILL taste the garlic), and so much more.

So far my absolute favorite item has been these apple chips...


I wish I knew where they bought them because I so want more!!!  I am now officially on the look out.

Another item in the bag were these Crystallized Ginger.  I've tried one and they are DEFINITELY ginger.  A little too strong to eat plain.  

Does anyone have any ideas on how to eat these?  Are they supposed to be eaten as a snack?


As for the Hubs, he put all his $$ into one purchase... a basket ball signed by ALL the 2011-2012 Pacers!  He waited until there was only 30 seconds left then put in his bid.  He said he was "Snipering"  I had never heard that term before but apparently I live in a hole since everyone else has.  :)


Sunday's eats were pretty low key.  A smoothie for breakfast (strawberry, spinach, almond milk, chia seeds, flax seed, oatmeal, ice and a dash of carob powder).  And lots of snacking on those apple chips. :)


Lunch was Cous-cous, edemame, broccoli, okra and nutritional yeast made in the Wolfgang Puck cooker in the dining room instead of the kitchen.


Why did I use the cooker?  Because my kitchen looked like this...


Yep!!  We're finally putting in the sink & faucet I bought right after Christmas.  We bought them from Menard's and were waiting for the rebates to arrive before buying the pipes, etc.. for the installation. 

BEFORE:
DIRTY/STAINED Stainless Steel sink, Broken Faucet, Faux Cabinets

AFTER:
Black Granite Sink & New Fancy Faucet
 Here's another shot...'cause I'm so freaking excited about my new sink!!!



I probably never mentioned this before (because I was kinda' embarrassed about it) but we haven't had cold water in the kitchen sink for about 2 years!!  Something in the old faucet was broken and I'm sure the average person would have replaced it much sooner than we did but I learned to live with it. :)

Not anymore...We have hot AND cold water now!!


Also, a last minute purchase resulted in what turned out to be an extra 3 hours of labor (ok, maybe not 3 hours of ACTUAL working labor but still...).

I've always wanted to get these little faux-cabinet flip outs and now we have them...


So Freakin' Exciting!!!

(Yes, I totally acknowledge that I must be completely grown up now, since I'm completely jazzed about a new sink and faucet)

No comments:

Post a Comment