Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Off to see the Wizard

A few weeks ago I started trimming & washing my spinach and then storing it in a glass jar I bought at Target.  I've heard that you can successfully store greens in a glass jar but I didn't really believe it.  Well I do now!  It's amazing.  Clean, fresh spinach ready with no muss, no fuss.  I highly recommend keeping your greens this way!  I'm really surprised at how well it keeps!!


Yesterday's breakfast was once again oatmeal, topped with frozen peaches and fresh banana.
 While Kai had Cheerios, also topped with fresh banana and raisins.



For lunch Kai, of all people, wanted Eggplant sticks! I'm not one to look a gifted horse in the mouth so I pre-heat the oven at 450 and pulled out the last of my eggplant.



I peeled it and then sliced it into sticks...


Then in one bowl I whisked an egg and on a plate I mixed some Panko crumbs and some Parmesan cheese...

I dipped each stick in the egg and the ran it through the crumbs...

After 15-20 minutes they were nice and golden...

We ate them with side salads of spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, asparagus (left over from yesterday's grilling), hummus, nutritional yeast and a drizzle of lemon juice.



Let me tell you, if you've had trouble enjoying eggplant then this is a good way to start.  They were SO GOOD.  Clearly they were, since Kai ate almost all of hers!!


Finally around 5:30 it was time for Kai's cousin's birthday party!!  Let's just say that Kai's been looking forward to this party.  The gift bag was full of little pictures and tidbits that Kai'd been adding to it. :)


The party had a Wizard of Oz theme...


The 4 Year Old is done with pictures
and ready to start the P.A.R.T.Y.
 As for our eats....



OZ Salad with Emerald City Spinach, Ruby Slipper Strawberries and Good Witch Glenda Snow (Feta Cheese)
Also, Free Apples (fortunately there were no trees throwing them at us)

Poppy Seed Muffins...
Don't worry, no one became sleepy after eating them,
although the idea of snow cones to wake us up isn't a bad idea. lol!

Emerald City (spinach) Hummus

With Over the Rainbow Veggies

Lions and Tigers and Bears Cookies/Crackers
Do you call them Animal Cookies or Animal Crackers?
I call them cookies but I think I'm the only one. :(

Wicked Witch's Brew
 There was also a "Hot Food Bar" but apparently I didn't take picture of it.  There was Scarecrow Stuffing (hash browns), Munchkin Dogs (cocktail hot dogs), Cowardly Lion Mild Queso and Brave Lion Dip (Hot Chicken Buffalo Sauce Dip)


Is that not the best themed food ever?? :)


And one of my contributions to the party was a pin the heart on the tin man game...


I used an old pizza box and cut it into a tin man shape then covered it with aluminum foil and used a sharpie to give him life. :)

Other games included Twister, a rainbow pinata that was impossible to break (my sister wound up attacking it with a hammer to break it open, lol!), red play-doh with red glitter worked into it and a science project type tornado made using 2 2 liters.  :)


And it wasn't until about half way through the party that we realized I actual am "Auntie Em"!!

4 comments:

  1. Is storing greens in a glass container better than storing them in a ziploc bag? Do they last longer?

    What a fun party! LOVE the food! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't think it would make much of a difference but the glass jar is working WAY better than my green bags (I haven't tried using ziplock). I'm guessing part of it is that in the jar they don't get bruised, maybe? :)

      Delete
    2. Also, glass is a healthier place to store stuff. Supposedly things stored in ziploks absorb the toxins in the plastic. Same reason people have been buying glass straws. I don't know if I would go so far as the glass straws, but storing stuff...I see how it might be better.

      Delete
    3. I LOVE my glass straws! I've had 5 for about a year and have never had any problems with them. I highly recommend Glass Dharma. :)

      Delete