Friday, May 25, 2012

Green Bean Delievery

Once again, I failed on the food picture front.  I made an omelette for breakfast, snacked on fruit & veggies at Kai's class picnic and then made a late dinner of nachos using chips, chickpeas, spinach, salsa, cucumber nutritional yeast and greek yogurt.  Plus I snacked on watermelon ALL day.  But there are no pictures. :(

Since I don't have any foodie pics and I got our 2nd Green Bean Delivery today I thought I'd share that with you instead. :)  Basically they "offer the convenience of bringing the freshest local & organic produce and natural groceries right to your doorstep."  It costs us $35 every two weeks (the minimum you can order) and we get a Small Produce Bin.

The $35 every other week fit our budge perfectly (assuming we don't run out of food mid-week) so my plan is to use the Green Bean Delivery instead of doing the produce shopping at the grocery store on the week it's delivered, and then on the next week I'll buy the stuff I need more of...Spinach, apples, etc. :)

By using the Green Bean Delivery we're buying more local and organic foods and I get stuff that I normally wouldn't pick up so we get a much better variety. :)

OK - so here's what we got....


It arrives in an insulated bin:


See - it's insulated...


 Inside is our produce along with an ice pack. Once I unload the produce I store the bin & ice pack in our garage until the next delivery.  Then I put it out on our porch and it's replaced with a new full bin...just like magic. :)

Here's this weeks loot pulled out....


5 ears of Bi-color corn
1 bunch of broccoli
3 vidalia onions (it said 2 but I got 3 - score!)
3 Limes
1 Ruby Grapefruit*
1 Red Bartlett Pear*
1 Kiwi*
4 Yellow Peaches
2 Avocado (they need to ripen more but that's not a big deal)
2 Green Bell Peppers
6oz Blueberries
1 Romaine Lettuce
1 bunch of fresh Cilantro (and it truly was cilantro...not Italian Parsley)


* the original bin had Radishes in it which I've never cared for so I replaced them with a Grapefruit, a Pear & a Kiwi. :)


So there you have it.  This is only our second bin but the first was a big hit with me. :)  It's just a matter of how it effects our budget.  Since the Hub's plans his meals and then I just work mine into the mix I don't have a pre-determined idea of what I'm going to eat.  Generally I just take what ever veggies I have, roast them on the grill and eat them with a protein (Beans, Chickpeas, Quinoa, Hummus, etc...).


If you want to give them a try let me know!  Right now they have a promotion going on that your first order is $15 off and your referral (me, if you'd be so kind) also gets $15 off.


How do you do your produce shopping?  Grocery store on a weekly basis?  Farmer's Market? Delivery Service?  We'll be using the Green Bean Delivery every other week, then grocery store on the off weeks, and then I go to the Farmer's Market Express near our house during the week for fresh fruits/snacks.  For that I use my own money so it really doesn't come out of the grocery budget at all.


Oh and speaking of the Old Farmer's Market Express...Yogulatte is now open near our house (and next to FME)  It actually opened yesterday and I'd go today if it wasn't Carb Day at the 500 but there's no way I'm going anywhere near that crowd!  The 500 is no joke and it's crazy hot out.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be a mad house over there. lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment