Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Teriyaki Noodles & School Snack - RINGS

Wow, it's really late!  Good afternoon!!

Frodo's doing MUCH better today.  He's still stuck in either his crate or laying next to me...which is why this is so late.  When I get a break from work I tend to head to the couch with him for some snuggle time, but that also means I'm not quite as focused on my blogging.  :(

So, yesterday I worked in the office which means breakfast was a smoothie....


That's a frozen banana, Kale, Oatmeal, Cantaloupe, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds and Almond Milk; all blended into a nice THICK monster. :)

Don't worry...your eyes are fine...my pic's totally out of focus!!
For lunch we went on Campus (gotta take advantage of Purdue's Spring Break & lack of crowds) to Panara Bread.  I had one thing in mind...Black Bean Soup!  I got the pick 2 with the soup, a Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich and an apple.  Plus I earned a free Hot Tea with my rewards card.  Cha-ching!!  I was so busy visiting with the girls that I never even thought to take a picture of it.  BUT it's so good, and Panara's everywhere, so feel free to go out and order it for yourself to see what it looks like....you'll be happy you did. :)

When I got home at 6 the Hubs was sitting on the couch with Frodo.  Usually if I work in the office, he makes dinner so it's ready when I get home.  Since he was clearly on the couch and not in the kitchen I knew we needed something that was quick. 

Teriyaki  Noodles it was!!

Serves 4
1 onion
1 jar  Shitake  Mushrooms
1 package Bella Mushrooms
1 Red Pepper
2 bundles Soba noodles (2/3 of a package)
1/4 C Agave Nectar (or your favorite sweetener)
1/4 C Tamari Sauce (or soy sauce)
2 squirts Lemon Juice
Cilantro for garnish

I started by putting a pot of water on the stove to start boiling.

Then in a different pan I sauteed 1 onion.

When the water came to a boil I added 2 bundles of Soba Noodles.  The package says there are 4 servings but then it's divided into 3 bundles?!?



After that I drained & rinsed a jar of Shitake mushrooms and added them, along with a package of sliced Bellas and 1 largely-chopped Red Pepper to the onions.


I let those all cook together until the noodles were done (9 minutes of boiling). 



I drained the noodles.


And mixed a Teriyaki Sauce:
1/4 C Agave Nectar
1/4 C Tamari Sauce
2 Squirts of Lemon Juice


I added the sauce to the veggies and let it sit for about 2 minutes.


Then I stirred in the noodles and some Cilantro.


That's it!!


Well the Hubs wanted some form of animal on his plate so I cooked up a chicken breast on the George Foreman Grill then sliced it and put it on top!


I couldn't believe how much was left over!  Those 2 bundles of soba made a LOT of noodles.  Next time I'll only use one since there are only 3 of us. :)

After Kai laid down I decided that I REALLY needed to make up the "Rings" for her snack.  I had thought about taking in sliced/cored pineapple & apples but after already taking in the rainbows I didn't want to over do it on the fruit....  Plus we've been snacking on the fruit here and I'm not sure there's enough left. lol!

A Google Search led me to this recipe for a 'clean' doughnut.  I had all the ingredients which meant it was the clear cut winner!

Since the recipe makes 18 FULL size doughnuts and I was using my mini pan I cut the recipe in half. :)

Mix the dry....


Mix the wet (Coconut oil instead of Safflower Oil)



Mix the 2 together....


Dump into a baggie (or what ever your method of creating a pastry bag is)


And squeeze SMALL rings into the pan.


With 2 pans it still took me two batches!


After tasting them I decided they didn't have much flavor (next time I'll probably mash a banana into the dough) so I whipped up an "Icing".

1 banana + 1/2 T almond milk blended until super smooth.


Then each "Ring" was dipped in the banana icing.


Kai said she really liked these but I think it was more the novelty of eating "doughnuts" than the taste itself.  lol!

I did hear that Tuesday's Rainbows were a huge hit!!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment