Sunday, March 18, 2012

Steel Cut Oats, Flights at the IMA, Soup Du Jour

Look what I bought Friday night....

That's right, Steel Cut Oats.  I've wanted to try them for a while but they cost a lot more and take a lot longer to cook so I've held off.  But not any more.  Yesterday morning I opened them up and cooked myself up a batch.

Then topped them as usual.

The verdict?  They were ok.  Not life changing but not bad at all.  I'm guessing they're going to still be a weekend treat since it takes about 30 minutes to cook them. :)


Lunch was another picnic so I made those wonderful wraps again! I think I could probably eat them EVERYDAY if given the right opportunity.  This time I topped the Multi-Grain wrap with the Sundried Tomato Hummus, spinach, sweet pepper, mushrooms, sliced carrots, avocado and greek yogurt. :)
 As a side we also had a bowl of fruit...Pear, strawberries and oranges.
Funny tidbit:  Neither girl wanted to wear green
but agreed to green socks to avoid any pinches. lol!


Are you wondering where we picnicked?  (FYI: I looked that up. Apparently to add an "ed" to "picnic" you add a "k" after the "c".  Who knew?)


This weekend is the Spring Equinox: Celebration of Flight at the IMA.  It is actually at 100 Acres which is the Park the IMA developed.  The weather was PERFECT so we put down our blanket ate our lunch (well, Kai ate the fruit and a few bites of her wrap, but did wind up finishing it after we got home), then the moment the girls were done eating they were off and running around.
At noon the show started.  I have to say, it was pretty AMAZING.  If you're in Indy this weekend you should definitely check it out. :)  It started with music and people coming out with kite-birds.
 Then they just kept moving around...





 At one point the girls rested on each other - BFF!?!  They actually REALLY wanted to dance to the music but since we were right up front we kept them from standing. :)








After the large crane made his appearance they invited all the kids to come out with their kites.  The girls hadn't made them yet (both girls said, "I already have a kite") so they just ran around some more...then decided they DID want to make their own kite. :)
There were a few tables set up where the kids could color their "birds" and add feathers.  Then the adults took over and added a straw, a kite tale, and string. 
While we finished the kite construction the girls found the music mat.  I'm not sure what it had to do with the flight theme but it was a BIG hit with Kai.  She really would have been happy just staying there the whole time.
 But we had new kites to fly...
It was a good time!!


Dinner was just Kai and I again, as the Hubs went to see 21 Jump Street, which I didn't have an interest in seeing.  I really liked the TV show but the previews just didn't look good to me.  The Hubs said it was actually a lot funnier than he expected and thinks I would have liked it.  I may have liked it but I REALLY want to go see Hunger Games.  I actually stop what I'm doing and watch the trailer EVERY time it comes on. :)


Back to dinner...I made a soup (surprise!).  I can't help it.  They're just so easy to throw together. :)


I started by sauteing onions, carrots and mushrooms.
 Then I added Veggie Stock so that it became an actual soup. :)
 And added some frozen corn kernels and a handful of the thawed frozen-spinach.
 While that came to a low boil I whisked 3 eggs in a bowl.
Then poured them in.  
The eggs cook pretty much instantly... 
I ladled the soup into or bowls and topped it with a splash of Tamari (soy sauce) and Nutritional Yeast.
Between the two of us, the soup was polished off...Of course, I ate most of it - 2 bowls full plus the little bit Kai didn't eat.  It was REALLY good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment