Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spinach Pizza Dough

First let me just say Happy Leap Day!!!

Now, some lunches are better than others.

Some lunches are personal pizza.

Yesterday was Some Lunch!


Over the weekend I bought a new bag of Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.  Yesterday I decided to put it away (yeah, I'm THAT on top of things!).  So I poured the flour into my fridge container but of course, there was about 1.25 Cups left in the bag. :(  Ain't that always the case?

Well I decided to turn that frown upside down and put that extra flour to good use...By making pizza dough.

Actually, my first thought was to make spinach tortillas but then I thought of pizza and all other thinking stopped.

What is it about pizza that makes it so darn good??

So I made up a batch of SPINACH Pizza Dough!!  Brilliant!  Next time I think I'll incorporate some Basil into it also. :)

SPINACH PIZZA DOUGH
makes 3 personal sized pizzas

1/2 C Warm Water (hot enough to activate yeast but not kill it)
Small spoonful of Honey (approx. 1/8 t)
1 1/8 t Yeast (1/2 a package)
1 1/4 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/8 C Ground Flax Seed
1/8 C Olive Oil
1/2 C Chopped Spinach

Mix your warm water, honey and yeast and set aside for about 5 minutes while bubbles form.
Clean & chop your spinach (I simply put it in my Ninja and pulsed it to chop)
In a mixing bowl add all your ingredients and mix.
Switch to a kneeding hook and kneed the dough (or kneed by hand).
Form a ball with the dough and lightly coat with Olive Oil (keeping a crust from forming so that the dough will grow), put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1.5-2 hours.
Divide into 3 smaller/equal-sized balls and then roll each one into a pizza crust.  Top as you'd like and then put in an oven at 500° for about 5-10 minutes...until it reaches your preferred doneness.


Gather & mix your ingredients

Kneed

Set aside to rise

Gather your toppings

Roll your dough

Top & bake

Our final pizzas....

Enjoy

And what do two girls do with a third crust?  Hummm...

Is that dessert I hear calling?
  

Why yes it is!!  Coconut Oil, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Frozen Apple, a few White Chocolate chips and some Organic Sprinkles. :)


The pizza was a total success.  Kai told me she "Likes green pizza, but would LOVE pink pizza...it's her favorite!"  So I guess next time I'll be adding beets to the crust instead of spinach. :)

After our pizza we went for a good long walk. 

Frodo's on the hunt!

Don't worry -
Kai was immediately reprimanded for being in the street
and headed back over to the grass. :)

Grandpa & MacDuff take the lead!
When the Hubs got home from work we headed over to Lens Crafters so he could get his eyes checked & get new glasses.  We tried to do this on Sunday but they didn't have any room for a Walk-In so he made an appointment for yesterday.  When we got there they looked at our new insurance and told us they don't take it.  We headed home and double checked where he could go and decided to try Target.  Turns out they only take Walk-Ins on Monday, Wed, Friday and Saturday.  I couldn't help but laugh!  I believe we're going to try again on Saturday.  At least if we're at Target I'll have plenty to do while he gets his exam. :)

After our complete failure to get his eyes checked we headed to my parent's house to help out with a quick home-owner's fix.  Then we all headed out to Ruby Tuesdays.  :)

I had a salad...

And then another salad...

oooh, lots of raisins!!

And then I had a side of spaghetti squash and grilled zucchini while Kai enjoyed some Mac & Cheese.

AND THEN I had 2 more salads!!

Oh my, I was full.

Full and Happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment