Monday, January 2, 2012

Start to 2012

So how was your first day of 2012?  Ours was pretty fantastic. 

Kai and I started the day off with some chocolate pancakes.


Topped with some Coconut Milk Whip Cream, Bananas and Sprinkles.



Now that's how you start a new year!

And the coconut  milk whip cream?  Yeah, I made that! :D

With some of my Christmas money I got I bought myself this Whip Cream maker.  1 can of coconut milk later I had my whipped topping.  Of course those pancakes were the last of it.  I MAY have gotten a little cool whip crazy New Years Eve and gone a little over board topping my Chai tea. :)

Lunch yesterday was spent at Granny's house.  It was our last Christmas celebration - with the Hub's granny, parents, aunts, and cousin.  Granny makes ham and a potato dish and then everyone else brings a dish or two.  I was asked to bring the Brussels Sprout dish that I made for Granny's birthday.  I guess it really was liked!

I'm not sure if I put this on here before, but even if I did, I've changed it up a bit. Last time I used canned beans which I found to be a little too soft.  I also added wine instead of veggie broth this time, which really kicked the flavor up. :)

BRUSSELS SPROUT & WHITE BEAN
1 lb Brussels Sprouts - End trimmed & Cut in half
1 Red Onion - sliced
Olive Oil
1/2 t Minced Garlic
3/4 C cooked White Beans (Mine came out of my freezer)
1/2 C Red Wine (I used Red Velvet Cupcake Wine)
1/8 C Nutritional Yeast
1/3 C Shredded Kraft Parmesan Romano & Asiago Cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 425°.
Place your cut Brussels Sprouts and Onion on a baking sheet, drizzle with Olive Oil and roast for 30-45 minutes (until it's golden).
When the veggies are nearly done roasting heat some Olive Oil in a skillet and add your garlic. Let it cook a few minutes so that the garlic is just right.
Add the beans, roasted veggies and wine.  Let simmer about 5-10 minutes until the liquid is mostly cooked off.
Put in a serving dish and add your cheeses.
Serve.

Chop your veggies.
And roast them up.

Heat your garlic.

Add the beans.



And your veggies.

And your wine. :)

Simmer, simmer, simmer

Plus cheese and ready to serve

The final dish is a little dark but it tastes amazing.  And that's not just me saying that!

After we ate, 6 of us sat down to try a new card game.  I have no idea what it was called.  I'm told it's similar to "Golf" but I've never played that card game either.  The first hand I came in last.  2 hands later I worked myself up to the #1 spot and I was the winner!!!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment