Friday, January 13, 2012

Kid Friendly Calzones

Yesterday's lunch was inspired by a magazine Kai got in the mail on Wednesday.  She get's Hilights High Five magazine and on the back they always have a "recipe".  It's usually pretty simple.  Ants on a Logtype of snack (celery + PB + Raisins) but this time it was Calzones.  As soon as she saw it she wanted to make them so yesterday's lunch was pre-planned. :)


But first there was breakfast.  There's always breakfast.  You can't start your day on an empty stomach.  No successful person can function without a breakfast to give them energy.  And we are successful people.  That's right my friends, this house has an All Star cast.

Our little plate of energy included scrambled eggs with nuked CA Veggie Mix from the freezer, topped with what else but, Nutritional Yeast.  On the side Kai had some left over Mac & Cheese and a cup of Chocolate Milk.  The Chocolate Milk was a simple mix of Almond Milk, Agave Nectar and Carob Powder.  :)


As I was saying at the begining, lunch was inspired by Hilight's "Pocket Pizza Turnovers" aka calzones...


Step 1:  We put on our aprons.  Don't we look cute?

Frodo looks on and wonders where his apron is
For Christmas Kai made us matching-ish aprons (with Grammy's help of course).
Sadly poor Frodo had to take his chances with the flour...
Dog's don't wear aprons.
Especially our dog.
He doesn't wear jackets, hats, shoes or costumes.
He does have a bandanna...
but he works like hell to get it off if it's put on him.

- FOCUS -

Step 2:  Get your dough.  I made this about 2 hours before lunch.


I made just enough dough for 3 calzones.

CALZONE DOUGH
1/4 C Warm-Hot Water (you'll want to activate but not kill the yeast)
Heaping 1/2 t Yeast
1 spoonful Honey
3/4 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3 T Ground Flax Seed
Pinch Salt
1 T Olive Oil

Mix Honey & Warm-Hot Water & stir in yeast.  Let sit while you mix the dry ingredients so that bubbles form.
Mix Flour, Ground Flax Seed & salt.
Add the Olive Oil and Yeast Water.
Mix until combined then kneed. (feel free to add water or flour if you need to adjust the consistency)
Put in a bowl coated with Olive Oil and let sit.  After an hour punch it down and let sit until ready to use.

Step 3:  Chop your veggies for the "filling" & Pre-heat your oven to 500°

Green Onion, Sweet Pepper, Tomato & Spinach
Step 4:  Now is when you recruit your helper to roll out the dough.  I formed 3 "patties" and Kai started rolling.  Once she was done I did some final "shaping" and we got down to business. :)

Step 5:  Start Topping!

We sprayed some Olive Oil on the crust.

Added some seasons:  Basil, Marjoram, Oregano, and Garlic Powder

Then added our pre-chopped "fillings"

My pile was a little over the top. :)
Those were our "savory" calzones.  We also made 1 dessert calzone!
spread with a bit of Coconut Oil

Topped with Cinnamon Whipped Honey, Carob Powder, Cinnamon & Nutmeg.
Next time I plan to add chopped apple to the mix too!

Then we fold the dough over and use a fork to seal the edges
Step 6:  Cook - Put in a hot 500° oven & let bake until golden...about 10 minutes




Pull out of the oven and perhaps place on your new cutting board
Step 7: Enjoy!!
Mine

Kai's

Ours
As an afternoon snack we split an apple on our way to the library.  One of the books I had requested came in... Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons.  I've now finished The Girl who Played with Fire and am about to start The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  Hopefully I'll have time to finish it and start/finish Angry Housewives before it comes due. :)


Dinner was very grown up looking, don't you think?!?...



That's 90 second rice (I KNOW it's got mystery ingredients but I never think to start the rice early enough!), nuked frozen broccoli with nutritional yeast, slaw & tilapia.  AND we all at the same thing!!  Well, the Hub's didn't eat any broccoli and Kai decided (without trying it) that she did not like the slaw.  I even tried to convince her to try it because it's "pink".  Her reply..."well, I like the color pink.  I don't want to eat pink food".  Humph!!

Even though we ate the same plate we did not eat at the same time.  Just as I was putting all the food on the plates the Hub's got a call from one of our friends.  He and his daughter were stranded on the side of the road with what was presumed to be no gas, but turned out to be a battery or alternator problem.  Did I mention that today is the coldest day of the year so far?  Yeah, it's freezing out!  I'm guessing his car was just protesting the weather. lol!!  So the Hub's plate went into the toaster oven where it was "kept warm" until he returned. :)

As for the Slaw that Kai wouldn't eat, well I LOVED it.  I'm kinda' glad she wouldn't eat hers...more for me!

Maple Flavored Slaw
Shredded Cabbage - approx 1 Cup
Shredded Carrots - approx 1 Cup
2 Chopped Green Onions
2 Packets Truvia
1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
Drizzle of Maple Syrup

Mix everything together and let sit at least 30 minutes...until ready to eat.

To shred the cabbage and carrots I pulled out my big food processor.  I haven't used it in SO long.  Ever since I got my Ninja I haven't had much of a need for it.  But my Ninja doesn't have this...


A shredding blade!



One thing you can't shred is green onion.  I tried for longer than I should have and finally broke down and chopped it up. :)

Shred

Add

Stir and let sit
I LOVED the added maple syrup flavor.  I'll never make slaw without it again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment