Friday, January 20, 2012

Cookies, Dip & Tortilla Soup

Yesterday I was inspired by this recipe to make cookies.   And since Kai's ALWAYS on board for making cookies as soon as she got home from school we went to work!

I did make a few small alterations to the ingredients, but for the most part I followed the recipe to a "T".  And while these are cookies they also have a definite muffin texture to them.  I foresee these being enjoyed for breakfast today...especially since we're out of both oatmeal and eggs now!  :)

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffin Cookies
1/2 C Ground Flax Seed
1 C Rolled Oats
1 t Baking Powder
1/2 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 1/2 T Chia Seeds
1/4 C Butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
1/4 C Organic Sucanant (or brown sugar)
3/4 C Peanut Butter with Flax Seed
2 Eggs
1 t Vanilla
1/4 C Dark Chocolate Chips

Pre Heat oven to 350.
Whisk the flax seed, oats, baking powder, flour and chia seeds together.
Separately cream the butter and sucanant together.
Add peanut butter, eggs and vanilla to the creamed sugar/butter.
Stir in the dry ingredients.
Add the chocolate chips.
Drop by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet and bake approximately 12 minutes.
Let cook and eat.

We started by whisking the dry ingredients...
Then things got a little silly...
Ok, more than a "little" silly...
It was getting ridiculous!
But in a good way.
OK, Stop, we're done now.

With the help of the mixer we creamed the butter & sugar.
This is the peanut butter we added.
Adding some dry ingredients.
After tasting a few chips we added some to the bowl.
(I have NO idea how old these chips were -
I was kinda surprised when I found them
but they tasted ok and so far no one's been sick)
On to the cookie sheet & into the oven.
Why does time slow down when cookies are cooling???
Time to taste!  YUM!!
Kai and I both really liked these cookies so when she wanted to eat another one after our "Out-of-the-oven-gotta-taste-just-one" treat I told her no.  She started to whine and I explained that if she were to eat a cookie BEFORE eating lunch I'd be arrested by the Mommy Police and would go to jail.  I though we were joking around.  She on the the other hand took it to heart and was seriously concerned about me for the rest of the day.  Her cookie sat on her plate through lunch until I told her she had eaten enough of her lunch.  Then when I offered her a second one a little later she asked if I thought it would be ok.  She didn't want me to to to jail.  She was being so sweet!  And yes, I felt incredibly guilty but at the same time it was nice to have cookies in the house without the CONSTANT whining.  :)

As for our lunch, we basically had dip...

A mix of 1/2 avocado, 1 serving of Chobani Greek yogurt & a squirt of Dijon mustard.


Stirred until smooth and dippy. :)


While I added veggies to our plates, next to our dip, Kai licked the dip bowl clean.  She LOVES avocado & yogurt. :)


You may notice that in addition to the peppers, carrots, broccoli and snap peas I had Kale Chips on my plate.  Kai didn't want any because I over cooked them just a bit...


Yeah, except for the very center they were considerably blackened.  Some day I'll learn to actually USE the timer. :( 

But Frodo was happy - he always gets my "cooking-oopsies" so long as they're not raisin or chocolate. :)

Dinner was another last minute decision.  Ok, not really last minute but it was a later than normal decision.


We decided on Tortilla Soup.  It's a REALLY simple meal to make. :)


TORTILLA SOUP
1 onion - chopped
1 can Diced Tomatoes (14.5oz)
1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chili (10oz)
3 C Veggie Broth
1/2 C Long Grain Brown Rice
Chili Powder to Taste
1/2 t Cocoa Powder
1 C Frozen Corn Kernels
* Optional: Black Beans, Pulled Chicken
** Toppings:  Nutritional Yeast, Avocado, Cheese, Tortilla Chips


Saute onion until it's transparent.
Add the tomatoes, broth, rice & spiced and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes (until the rice is cooked)


At this point I poured half the soup into a second pot and added black beans and corn to one, and chicken and corn to the other.  Once they were heated up I added our toppings (you have to add the tortilla chips or it's not tortilla soup!) and then we ate.


SO EASY!!

Ready to simmer for 40  minutes.

My soup (with black beans)

The Hub's soup (with chicken)

Into the bowls...

I topped mine with nutritional yeast, avocado, sprouts and chips.

The Hubs topped his with chips and cheese.

Kai claimed she wanted sprouts too but she picked them out.
Then she ate the avocado and chips and declared she didn't like soup.
She ended up with a jelly, nutritional yeast & ground flax sandwich on whole grain bread. 

And for those who are keeping track (you know who you are) there was no spinach in this meal.  See, I CAN eat a meal without spinach or kale. :P 

Now admit it, you're totally jealous of our day! :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the pictures of Kai during the cookie making - she's hilarious!

    I made tortilla soup this week, too. I like your idea of throwing in some brown rice. I've never added that before, but it sounds dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete