Monday, January 16, 2012

Black Bean Soup and a New Game

Look who's jumping into the breakfast photo shoot today...


Yep, Kai definitely wanted to be part of the shoot...


But when breakfast is this good you don't care. :)


Oatmeal topped with peanut butter, carob powder, chia seeds, cinnamon and apples.  YUM!!


For lunch I finally made my Black Bean Soup. :D

BLACK BEAN SOUP
1 onion - chopped
3 mini sweet peppers - chopped
1 C chopped spinach
2 Cups Liquid (I used 1.5C Veggie Broth + 1/2 C Water)
2 t Ground Cumin
2 Dashes of Chili Powder
1/2 C + 3 C pre-cooked Black Beans
* Optional:  Feta Cheese, Corn

Saute the onion & sweet pepper until the onion is translucent.
Add the spinach and stir until wilted (about a minute)
Add broth, spices, and 1/2 C black beans.  Bring to a boil & let simmer about 5 minutes.
Blend using an immersion blender until smooth.
Add 3 C of black beans and bring back to a boil.  Let simmer another 10 minutes.
Serve topped with Feta Cheese.

saute

add spinach

Add liquid & 1/2 C beans & spices

Blend

Add the rest of the beans.

Serve
That soup was just what I was in the mood for!  Totally cold weather worthy!!

After lunch Kai and I played a new game that I discovered on Preschool Alphabet.  Basically you make a list of "actions" and put them in a jar.  Then on your turn you draw an action and roll a die.  You do the action the number of times you rolled.  So simple and so much fun.  Kai and I had fun not only playing but coming up with our list of actions!

Our list included:  Jump, Run in a Circle, Clap, Touch Toes, Spin, March, Flap your Wings, Shake, Stomp, Stand on Toes, Bark, Push Up, Bow, Run back & forth, Pliet, Make a Face, Spin Jump, Stretch, Kick, Pat your Belly, Jumping Jack, Walk, Fall Down, and Grow from a Seed. :D
Draw from the jar & roll a die

Kai does a spin jump. :)
After an afternoon of playing Kai and I both wanted a snack.  I suggested Hot Chocolate Smoothies.  She countered with a pink smoothie - "one that's not too hot, and not too cold...One that's just right".  Apparently she's been influenced by Goldilocks. lol!

Into the Ninja went 1 frozen banana, some frozen mixed berries, some frozen plum and Almond Milk.  Once it was smooth I poured it into two cups and nuked it to take the chill off.

And then I topped it with some coconut whip and pomegranate. :)

I ate mine with a straw while I chose a spoon.
Eventually it was time for dinner.  The Hubs had chosen breaded fish from a bag for dinner.  Eh, not my ideal dinner but hey, I had soup so who was I to argue? :)

Kai had 1 fillet, corn & heated carrots topped with cinnamon and a small drizzle of maple syrup.  (She had zero interest in trying the black bean soup)

The Hubs had 2 fillets turned into a sandwich, with a side of corn and baby carrots (He doesn't like cooked veggies)


I had the last of my Black Bean soup with some of the corn stirred in and topped with Feta.


Other than a sudden need for new Spark Plugs for the Hub's car (Yep, the hits just keep on coming to our bank account) our day has been pretty good.  Good Soup and a New Game.  That's a pretty prefect Sunday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment