Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Peppermint Brownies

Peppermint + Chocolate + Healthy = A happy mommy & a happy Kai.  WIN!

I've been dreaming of making peppermint brownies since I saw Chocolate Peppermint Soy Milk in the grocery store.  To be honest the milk doesn't sound quite so appealing.  I know, I'm a weirdo, but the idea of making peppermint brownies sounded just right! :)

I finally got my chance yesterday.  I started off with my normal black bean brownie recipe but used peppermint extract instead of vanilla and then blended in 2 candy canes before adding the oatmeal.

Just try and tell me that doesn't look good!
PEPPERMINT BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
2C Black Beans
2 frozen bananas (slightly defrosted)
1/2C total of agave nector & honey
1/4C Cocoa Powder
dash of cinnamon & splash of peppermint extract
    - puree together then add...
2 candy canes
     -pulse so that the candy canes are good and chopped
1/3C oatmeal
    -pulse so that it's all mixed

Pour into a greased 8 x 8 dish & put into a 350° pre-heated oven & bake for 30 minutes.

LET COOL.  It's hard to do but you have to or it will completely crumble when you cut into it. :)

Waiting for it to cool....still waiting....wait, wait, wait...

Yep, definitely kid approved!

Now, I don't want to lead you to believe that these will fool anyone into thinking they're eating "real" brownies.  They're made with black beans, bananas and agave nectar/honey.  Kai and I LOVE them but he Hubs won't go near them.  We also had nana, papa and grandpa over (grammy had to work) for Kai's school Christmas concert (she did wonderfully).  Papa grabbed one, and knowing his tastes, I tried to warn him that he probably wouldn't like it, but he gave it an honest try...and then gave the rest of his brownie to nana.  But that's how it goes.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment