Saturday, December 17, 2011

And now I'm back, from outer space...

Isn't it funny how typing just one line from a song can get it stuck in your head.  I'll probably be singing I Will Survive for the rest of the day.  Why do I do this to myself???  Oh well, at least it's not Soft Kitty... Although now that I've typed that it probably will be.  It's a vicious cycle!




I know I disappeared on you for a while.  I wasn't in outer space (at least not physically).  I was in Christmas world.  But the good news is that (for the most part) my Christmas shopping is done, the Ugly Sweater is made and our ornaments are painted ...eh, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!  Here's a quick review of the last couple of days...


Wednesday:  I worked in our office in West Lafayette so breakfast was a super smoothie (oatmeal, chia seeds, almond milk, frozen banana, frozen apples & cinnamon).  Lunch was with the girls at Penn Station where I enjoyed a Veggie 6" and a small fries, and we exchanged gifts.  I got a FABULOUS new headband, a new ornament and a foot-spa set I can't wait to use. :)  Dinner was made by the Hubs - Salmon patties & Shells and Cheese, and then I added some green beans and a spinach salad because I need my veggies and I ditched the shells and cheese since they're not really my thing - a few too many mystery ingredients.  :) 



Thursday:  Thursday was my shopping day. I dropped Kai off at school and hit the stores to get MY shopping done and wrapped before I picked Kai back up.  For the most part I succeeded.  I just have one more thing I think I want to get. :)  Anyway, breakfast was a pear and some left over popcorn trail mix...not exactly a 5 star meal but hey, full disclosure, even I don't eat right all the time. Lunch was kale chips under a generous sprinkling of Nutritional Yeast, and a blend of Salsa, Black Beans and sliced Sweet Peppers.  It was SO GOOD.  That was followed up with a big bowl of Pumpkin.  YUM!!  I can't remember dinner for the life of me!  What ever it was it was probably thrown together and clearly wasn't memorable. :)


Friday:  Friday I took my dad shopping for my mom's Christmas gifts.  If left to his own devises she'd probably just get a lot of socks or something. lol!  So we went out and between the two of us were able to find her some really nice stuff!  I think she'll have a Merry Christmas.  Friday's breakfast was another big bowl of Pumpkin - topped with chia seeds, chopped dates, almond milk, cinnamon and raw oatmeal.  Lunch was an acorn squash, softened in the microwave and then mashed with cinnamon and pecans and topped with a drizzle of agave nectar.  I also munched on some chickpeas while making a new dip.  Dinner was another salad - spinach, Nutritional Yeast, Salsa + Black Beans + Sweet Pepper.  I'm really digging that combo!  Then we were off to an Ugly Sweater Party where I ate WAY TOO MUCH of our host's Popcorn & Chex Bowl of Goodness (or whatever you want to call it)!


Since I wasn't able to find a pre-made Christmasy Ugly Sweater I bought an ugly sweater in the 1/2 off section of Good Will and then Kai and I crafted that bad boy.  The final results...

Back - Sparkly fuzz balls, Yarn Snowflakes, Santa complete with a
glittery hat, googly eyes, cotton ball beard and working jingle bell necklace.

The front includes a lot of the back plus a big poinsettia flower.

And those 8 gold things on the sleeves...
Well those are golden pine cone reindeer of course!
What do you think?  Is it ugly enough?  Don't you think I should have won the prize?  :)

Since I've been gone so long I think I'll end things with a recipe.

Today is one of our family Christmas Parties and I'm bringing a cheese/veggie tray.  To go with that I made up a batch of Gingerbread Chickpea Dip.  :)

Best served in a Gingerbread Dip Bowl! :D


GINGERBREAD CHICKPEA DIP
1 can chickpeas - drained & rinsed
1/8 C Molasses (you may want to start with less and add more after you taste it)
1/8 C Plain Greek Yogurt
1/8 C Honey or other liquid Sweetener like Agave Nectar or Maple Syrup
1 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Ground Ginger
1/4 t Ground Cloves

Blend it all together until smooth and then let chill in the fridge. 

I'm a little worried that the flavor is so strong in it but Kai and I can't stop "tasting" it so I'm guessing it's ok.  You may still want to cut back on the spices and add them a little at a time until you get your flavors the way you like them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment