Saturday, September 3, 2011

Travel Snacks

Yesterday we drove out to visit my sister.  It's a pretty good drive and I knew we'd need snacks in the car.  In the past I would have bought a box of Cheese-it snack packs or Animal Crackers and called it a day but  not any more.  I wanted to have some healthier options this time.



Good Health Glories Sweet Potato Chips

I was at our local grocery and saw these.  They're basically sweet potatoes, oil & salt and were on sale.  Cha-Ching!  My first instinct was to just throw the bag in the car...and then I thought better of it.  Instead I got out some snack-bags and divided it up into 6 "servings".  That way I could hand out 1 bag at a time.  It worked wonderfully.


Red Grapes
Also on sale at the grocery store was red grapes.  These are the absolute perfect thing to pack.  They're clean, tasty and can be eaten individually.  Plus, if you de-stem and clean them before leaving you have no trash.  The only thing is that next time I'll be dividing these up into serving sizes as well.  We ate the entire package I brought because once it was seen that we had more, no one wanted to stop eating them!

Gala Apples
The last thing I packed were a few Gala Apples.  We are big apple eaters in my family.  In fact I usually have a rule that we don't get more than one apple a day because otherwise they'd all be eaten at once!  The only draw back to eating apples in the care is that you're left with a core at the end.  But that's a small price to pay for something so appealing. :)

So that's what we munched on the majority of the day.  

Breakfast started out with some  of these Green Pancakes.  

Lunch was a place called Potbelly's.  They basically serve sandwiches so I got a Vegetarian - cheese, mushrooms, tomato, onion and lettuce on a Multigrain wheat bread.   It was good - could have used more toppings but I feel that way just about everywhere I go. :)  

Dinner was at Jimmy John's where I once again got the #6 Vegitarian, no mayo.  BUT this time I tried something new - Since I had had a sandwich for lunch I made mine a JJ Unwich - Basically they just wrap it all in a lettuce leaf instead of bread.  It's like a salad to go and I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it.  I was a little worried it wouldn't be as filling without the bread but I really wanted something different and I'm so glad I tried it!!  

After hanging out with my sister we all headed back for some late night Star Trek, Project Runway (DVRs are da'bomb) and visiting in general...and that's when my sis broke out the big guns.  She asked if I wanted a snack and, of course I did.  She told me she was going to have a spinach, strawberry & feta salad.  

Now that's my kind of snack!!! 

1 comment:

  1. This is fun Emily. Sounds like lots of yummy foods. Hope you have a great visit with Abee!

    ReplyDelete